165 years of Christian Ministry & Service
Our nation was young and this fertile countryside was sparsely populated when a group for Christians from the Abbott’s Creek Township of northern Davidson County decided to form a Methodist church in this community. On September 18, 1835 land was purchased from Ruben & Sofie Mason for the sum total of five dollars. The Methodist Episcopal Church to be built on this spot was within the jurisdiction of the Virginia Annual Conference.
No one knows the origin of the name, but the first “Shady Grove Methodist Episcopal Church” must have been surrounded by a beautiful grove of trees. The first building was constructed with hard hewn oak logs. It was located on the north side of the road with the entrance facing the west. Two years after the formation of the church (1837), Shady Grove became part of the newly formed North Carolina Conference. By 1844, the issue of slavery had divided the churches of our nation, and Shady Grove became part of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South. The original log building was the place of worship throughout the Civil War and Reconstruction period, until about 1889. In that year, U.S. Peace purchased the old church and moved it away to be used as a farm storage building. In 1890 North Carolina was divided into the present two Methodist conferences, and Shady Grove became part of The Western North Carolina Annual Conference.
By 1930 there had been significant growth in the church; so, the sanctuary was moved in a East-West direction so that a basement with a furnace, kitchen, dining room, and Sunday School rooms could be built. By 1941, the interior of the sanctuary was remodeled and additional classrooms were added to the building.
After years of debate, the Official Board on April 20, 1953 decided to build a new brick veneer church. Construction began in 1955 and was completed the following spring. The fist service in the present sanctuary was conducted on Sunday, March 19,1956 by Rev. Frank Pennigar. In 1968, following denominational merger, we became “Shady Grove United Methodist Church”.
In the early part of the 1990’s the fellowship hall and office complex was added to the church in order to further our outreach and mission to the community.
In 2001 a decision was made to build the new South Education building to accomodate the growth in our Sunday School and Childrens Ministry programs. In 2002 the building was completed. Spiritual and numerical growth has been substantial throughout the rich heritage of Shady Grove. We look back with a deep sense of gratitude to scores of faithful disciples who have served so diligently and sacrificed so gladly in order that the Gospel of Jesus Christ might be proclaimed and made a living reality in this community.
We look forward to EVERYONE taking part in the marvelous and exciting work of Jesus and the specific tasks He has set before Shady Grove for the next 172 years.